1995 Guy Fawkes Eve Buzzer Explosion
Questions by Stanford A
Written by Sherman Lo, Daniel Howard, Pui-Man Chou
1. A professor at Sarah Lawrence college, this thinker wrote many
works such as "The Portable Jung" and "Myths Dreams, and Religion".
He also wrote one of the most definitive works on "Finnegans Wake".
FTP, name this man, the author of "The Hero with a Thousand Faces"
and "The Masks of God" famous for his study of myths.
2. It is a constellation of 25 satellites orbiting the earth in 12
hour orbits. The transmitted signals from these satellites allows
a user to accurately locate a position with centimeter accuracy
depending on the calculation methods used. FTP, name this system
GLOBAL POSITIONING SYSTEM
3. He was an Athenian Cavalryman during the Peloponnesian War, a
hired soldier for Cyrus the Younger, a philosophy student of
Socrates, and a farmer. Famous works include Cyropaedia,
Hellenica, and Anabasis, which describes Cyrus' campaign and the
Greek retreat from Cunaxa. FTP, name this greek historian.
4. It won the Pulitzer Prize in 1967 and is subtitled History as a
Novel, the Novel as History. The work chronicles the activities of
its author during a 1967 anti-war march on the Pentagon. FTP, name
this work by Norman Mailer.
The ARMIES OF THE NIGHT
5. An Indian squats in the left foreground placing the scene inthe
new world while the crowd of officer surrounds a dying figure.
Combining realism, baroque lighting, and a sense of noble heroism,
this painting distinguishes itself from the classical works of
Poussin. FTP, name this work, perhaps the most famous painting of
THE DEATH OF GENERAL WOLFE
6. Born in South Carolina in 1767, he soon migrated west becoming
a lawyer, Congressman, Senator and Judge successively. He then
went into retirement on his estate, called the Hermitage, only to
be brought back into national prominence leading the defense of New
Orleans in the War of 1812. FTP, name this President of the United
7. When Arthur Miller was asked to work with Elia Kazan on this
film, Miller left in disgust and wrote The Crucible. Kazan then
went on to work on the film with another writer. The film depicts
the control of the Long Shoremen Union by Johnny Friendly and the
attempt of people to break this corrupt block. FTP, name this
film, the winner of the 1954 Best Picture Oscar.
ON THE WATERFRONT
8. In physics, it describes a force whose line integral is
dependent solely on the endpoints and is independent of the path
taken. FTP, name this term which also describes the political
leanings of men like Rush Limbaugh or Pat Buchanan.
9. It is known as rule 22 in the Senate and requires a 3/5 vote in
that body. It is the Parliamentary technique used by a legislative
body to end or limit debate. FTP, name this legislative procedure.
10. "Nausea" by Sartre, "Out of Africa" by Dinesen, "The 5000
Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins" by Dr. Seuss, and "Our Town" by
Thorton Wilder were published in this year, and the films "Snow
White and the Seven Dwarfs" and "Bringing Up Baby" appeared. FTP,
name this year, which also marked the passage of the Fair Labor
Standards Act, and the annexation of Austria and the Sudetenland by
11. Bach's Brandenburg Concerto #2, Louis Armstrong's Melacholy
Blues, Chuck Berry's Johnny B Goode, Morse code, Beethoven's
symphony #5, 1st movement, the surf, sawing, conclusion to
Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring, and whale sounds. This is just a
selection of the sounds available on the disc that was placed
abroad these 2 American probes that were launched in the late
1970's. FTP, name the probes.
12. Thomas Burke, Francis Jarvis, Bobby Morrows, and Allan Wells
all have won this race. FTP, name this event, whose famous
winners include Harold Abrahams, Charles Paddock, Jesse Owens, and
OLYMPIC 100 METER (prompt for more if 100 meters is
13. It is built on a dual theme of 16 measures played repeatedly
for 16 minutes until the last modulation breaks the charm. First
performed at the Paris Opera in 1928 by Rubenstein's Ballet, this
work's compelling crescendo and insistent rhythm marks as one of
Ravel's most memorable works. FTP, name it.
14. Euler developed a theorem that allows one to determine all
even ones, and Euclid showed that such numbers can be generated by
the formula 2 to the power k-1 times (2 to the power k) minus 1 if
(2 to the power k) minus 1 is prime. FTP, name this type of
number, of which 6 and 28 are examples.
15. It is said that when this philospoher's father died, his
brother Perses sued and bribed his way into getting a large share
of the inheritance. He, in turn, wrote a poem dedicated to Perses
that lauded the principle of hard work, order, and acceptance of
ones lot in life. FTP, name this Greek author who penned "Works
16. Upon hearing that the USS Constitution was to be destroyed, he
wrote the poem "Old Ironsides" to help preserve the ship. He also
wrote works such as "The Autocrat of the Breakfast Table" and "The
Chambered Nautilus". FTP, name this man whose son went on the
become a Supreme Court Justice.
Oliver Wendell HOLMES
17. Originally a student in the University of Chicago Chemistry
department, he initiallly studied under Edaward Teller. However,
in 1951 he switched advisors and decided to experiment on organic
synthesis. He used a combination of methane, ammonia, water vapor
and hydrogen to simulate the primodial atmosphere. After letting
the experiment run for a week, he discovered significant levels of
amino acids. FTP, name this famous pupil of Harold Urey.
18. Hebrew legend holds that she was created simultaneously with
Adam and was his first wife, but, refusing to be considered
inferior to him, left him and was expelled from Eden. In Arabic
mythology, she married the Devil and became the mother of evil
spirits. FTP, who is this woman, probably of Babylonian origin,
who is said to haunt wildernesses in stormy weather and is
considered dangerous to children and pregnant women?
19. In the early 1900's, David Hilbert proposed that all
mathematical truths could be captured within some formal system.
His formalist dreams were shattered in 1931 when this man proved
that for any formal system that is finitely describable and capable
of proving basic arithmetic, the system is cannot prove it's own
consistency and is incomplete. FTP, name this man famous for his
20. After leaving his professorship at Johns Hopkins in 1925, this
man spent most of his remaining years in advertising and in trying
to apply his psychological theories in the real world. 1925 was
the year he published his landmark work "Behaviorism", and in it he
claimed that given any healthy infant, he could train that infant
to be suitable for any kind of specialized career. FTP, name this
behaviorist, who influenced B.F. Skinner.
21. The first two missions were launched on Redstone rockets while
all later ones were launched using the more powerful Atlas rockets.
The Redstone rockets were not powerful enough to place the capsule
in space and it was not until Glenn's flight on an Atlas rocket
that this project placed an American in orbit. FTP, name this
22. In 1922, he, with Podolsky and Rosen, formulated a paradox to
demonstrate that quantum theory as formulated by the Copenhagen
school forms an incomplete description of nature, and that there
must exist hidden variables. FTP, name this man famous for the EPR
paradox along with his work in Brownian motion and relativity.
23. This American author won a Pulitzer Prize in 1922 for his novel
depicting the life of a medical researcher. He later became the
first American to win the Nobel Prize for literature. FTP, name
this author famous for works such as Babbit, Elmer Gantry, and Main
24. FQTP, name the French writer known for his Tales of Mother
Goose, a collection which includes "Cinderella," Bluebeard," and
"Little Red Riding Hood."
25. FTP, name the nation will you make landfall on if you have
just sailed, heading due east, through the Cook Strait which
seperates the North and South islands of New Zealand.
1. 30-20-10 Name the work from some characters
30: Peter Keating, Henry Cameron
20: Dominique Francon, Gail Wynand
10: Howard Roark
2. Given some characters from an Ibsen play, name the play FTP
a) Torvald Helmer, Nora Helmer, Doctor Rank A DOLL'S HOUSE
b) Dr. Thomas Stockmann, Peter Stockmann AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE
c) Hialmar Ekdal, Helvig Ekdal, Gregers Werle THE WILD DUCK
3. Ok, time for your annual quiz on astronuats.
a) Fpr 5 points each, name the three astronauts aboard Apollo 11.
Neil ARMSTRONG, Edward "Buzz" ALDRIN, Michael COLLINS
b) And since Ron Howard's Apollo 13 was just on the big screen this
summer, name the 3 members from that ill-fated mission for 5 points
Jim LOVELL, Fred HAISE, Jack SWIGERT
4. Place these five events from Teddy Roosevelt's administration
in correct chronological order for 5 points each, with a 5 point
bonus for all 5. The events are:
Hepburn Act passed
Gentlemen's Agreement with Japan is reached
Treaty of Portsmouth is signed
Panama Canal Zone acquired
Roosevelt Corollary to the Monroe Doctrine established
A: Panama Canal, Roosevelt Corollary, Portsmouth,
Hepburn Act, Gentlemen's Agreement
5. Dammit, Sherman exclaims, I just have to write a Casablanca
question. FFP each, tell me what actor stated the following lines
in that film.
a) Waters? What waters? We're in the desert.
b) Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she
walks into mine!
c) Welcome back to the fight Rick, this time I know our side will
d) Are my eyes really brown?
e) This sort of takes the sting out of being occupied, doesn' t it
f) Make it ten. I am only a poor corrupt official.
6. Since Sherman has been studying for his PhD qualifiers in
aeronautics and astronautics, you now have to identify the
following terms from that field FTP each.
1) It is flow where streamlines are smooth and regular and a fluid
element moves along a streamline.
2) Flows that travel below Mach one are typically called this kind
3) It is flow characterized by having constant density. Since
flow below Mach .3 typically have constant density, flows below
this speed are typically described as having this property
7. 30-20-10 identify the director from some films.
30) Dirigible, Arsenic and Old Lace
20) The Bitter Tea of General Yen, State of the Union
10) Meet John Doe, Mr Smith Goes to Washington
8. FFP each, identify the Americans from their famous nickname.
Fighting BobRobert LA FOLETTE
The Great Dissenter Oliver Wendell HOLMES JR
Cactus Jack John Nance GARNER
Old Fuss and Feathers Winfield SCOTT
Old Buck James BUCHANAN
The Great Unknown Rutherford B. HAYES
9. Many people have tried to prove that god exists. For the
stated number of points answer the following questions.
1) F5P, he offered five ways to prove the existence of god in his
work Summa Theologica. Thomas AQUINAS
2) The ontological proof was propounded by a saint. FTP, name him.
3) In his 1805 thesis Natural Theology, this man expounded the
design argument for the existenc of god. F15P, name him.
10. Nobel Lit or Periodic Table. FFP each, given either the Nobel
lit winner or the element, name the year/number. You must choose
now. BTW, the numbers are the same (except years begin with 19).
[Reader: Note that first clue in each is the Nobel Prize winner,
second is the element - read only one of the two]
Rudolf Eucken or Oxygen 1908
Maurice Maeterlink or Sodium 1911
Henri Bergson or Cobalt 1927
Par Lagerkvist or Antimony 1951
Pablo Neruda or Lutetium 1971
Wole Soyinka or Radon 1986
11. For ten points each, name the three wives of Julius
Caesar. ANSWER: CORNELIA, POMPEIA, and CALPURNIA
12. FTP each, identify the playwright from the set of two works 1)
The Good Woman of Setuan, The Caucasian Chalk Circle
2) The Maids, Deathwatch
3) The Caretaker, The Dumb Waiter
13. For five points each, and a 5 point bonus for all 5, name the
five rivers of the mythological Hades that separated the world of
the dead from the world of the living.
ANSWER: STYX, ACHERON, LETHE, KOKYOTOS (COCYTUS), and PHLEGETHON
14: (30) For 5 points each, give the college football team of
each of the following football players:
a) Doug Flutie
b) Bo Jackson
c) Bernie Kosar
d) Eric Dickerson
e) Joe Namath
f) Herschel Walker
a) BOSTON COLLEGE
d) SOUTHERN METHODIST
15. Answer the following seemingly unrelated questions FTP each.
a) He has a watch that tells the day but not the time, and asks
Alice the riddle, "Why is a raven like a writing desk"?
A: The Mad HATTER
b) Edna Pontelier is the protagonist in this novel by Kate Chopin.
A: THE AWAKENING
c) FTP, name the author of The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat.
He also wrote Awakenings.
16. For the stated number of points, name these famous Nobel
(5) A twotime winner of the prize, this man lauded the use of
vitamin C and it's ability to cure the common cold.
(10) In 1973, he coauthored an article with Leslie Orgel claiming
life on earth may have originated from extraterrestrial seeding.
FTP, name this famous laureate who shared his prize with two
earthlings, one male, one female.
(15) While his PhD work on salt behavior in water managed to pass,
his Panspermia theory in which he claimed life rained down on Earth
in the form of tiny spores was rejected. FTP, name this early
Chemistry prize recepient.
17. (30) Let's get existential on this bonus. For ten points
each, name each of the following:
a) The author of the line translated, "Hell is other people." b)
The English name of this Jean Paul Sartre work in which this line
c) The French name for No Exit
a) Jean Paul SARTE
b) NO EXIT
c) HUIS CLOS
18. (30) Identify each of the following Italian composers for
the stated number of points:
a) The one known for the opera "Aida"
b) The one known for his opera "The Barber of Seville" c)
The one known for the first modern opera, "Orfeo", in 1606.
a) Giuseppe VERDI
b) Gioacchino ROSSINI
c) Claudio MONTEVERDI
19. (30) Identify each of the following American athletes by
their given nicknames:
a) The Brown Bomber
b) The Sultan of Swat
c) The Big Dipper
d) The Galloping Ghost
e) The Rocket of the Ice
f) Marvelous Mildred
a) Joe LOUIS (BARROW)
b) (George Herman) Babe RUTH
c) Wilt(on) Norman CHAMBERLAIN
d) Harold "Red" GRANGE
e) Maurice RICHARD
f) Babe DIDRIKSON (ZAHARIAS)
20. Time for a quick question because I'm more or less running
out of time. FFP each, identify the state given a nickname.
Centennial State COLORADO
Diamond State DELAWARE
Free State MARYLAND
Sagebrush State NEVADA
Ocean State RHODE ISLAND
Last Frontier ALASKA
21. For 15 points each. Name both the founder of
theNational Association for the Advancement of Colored People and
the founder of the Universal Negro Improvement Association. ANSWER:
W.E.B. DUBOIS and Marcus GARVEY
22. FTP, identify the following.
a) This is formed when you take an integral of a function
mutliplied with exp(-s*t) from minus infinity to positive
b) Similar to a LaPlace transform, it is basically the same thing
except when the multiplication function is exp(iw*t) where w is
c) Used in discrete control analysis, this transform is the
infinite summation of a product of a function at discrete step n
times z raised to the nth power. Z transform.
23. 30 points. For 5 points each, tell what each of the
following biology acronyms stand for:
FTP each, identify the following biology acronyms
a) DEOXYRIBONUCEIC ACID
b) ADENOSINE TRIPHOSPHATE
c) NICOTINAMIDE ADENINE DINUCLEOTIDE PHOSPHATE
d) CATABOLITE ACTIVATOR PROTEIN