UCLA (“Larry the Crime Donkey”)
1. It has been restored eight times, first in
1726 by Michelangelo Bellotti and most recently by Pinin Brambilla Barcilon, in work completed just last year. Its deterioration was almost immediate, and Vasari himself compared it to an "indistinct
smudge." It largely omits the
theological content, and focuses only on the meal itself, as it was placed in a
refectory, namely that of the monastery of
A: the LAST SUPPER
He was born on
A: Danny _Almonte_
3. This colorless organic hydrocarbon is found in coal tar and has a specific gravity of 0.86. It is the source for such synthetic compounds as TNT and is prepared through the destructive distillation of the balsam of its namesake wood. Often prepared in refineries by the alkylation of benzene, FTP, name this compound, the basis of most paints, also known as methylbenzene.
4. This man’s capitol building design at
Answer: Sir Christopher _Wren_
5. This country's name may mean "those who occupy a place." Its flag
contains the national emblem, a khanjar dagger
in its sheath superimposed on two crossed swords in scabbards. Qaboos bin Said al
Said has been sultan and prime minister since 1970 when he overthrew his
father, Said bin Timur. For 10 points--name this country located on
A: Sultanate of _Oman_ or Saltanat _Uman_
6. In "A Room of One's Own," Virginia Woolf praised her as the first
professional female writer.
Charles II had recruited her to work as a spy in
A: Aphra BEHN
He plays himself in the upcoming Ben Stiller movie ‘Zoolander’
and also in last year's ‘Dude, Where's My Car?’, and in ‘Bubble Boy’, he
portrays the leader of the rainbow cult.
Having attended a variety of schools in his native country, and won a scholarship
solitude and poverty, recorded in his "L'Enfant Noir", for which which he won the Prix Charles Veillon. He returned to home later, only to be
imprisoned by Sekou Toure and exiled to
A: Kamara LAYE
9. Two answers required. One is a slender palm branch that is held together with two willow branches, called arava, and three myrtle branches, called hadas. The other is a citron that looks mostly like a misshapen lemon but has a pleasant smell. They are waved together on
the 15th day of the month of Tishri. For 10 points--Leviticus tells why what two objects are waved together on the Jewish holiday of Sukkot?
Answer: _Lulav_ and _Etrog_
10. Chapters of this 1899 work include "The
Higher Learning as an Expression of the Pecuniary Culture,"
"Industrial Exemption and Conservatism," and "The Belief in
Luck." The author characterizes the
title group in terms of their non-industrial occupations, including government,
warfare, religious observances, and sports.
The author notes
A: The THEORY OF THE LEISURE CLASS
11. This naval battle was fought on
This state is home to towns such as Whyalla and
13. You have 2 coins in a covered box. One is a normal coin and the other is a trick coin with both sides being heads. You draw a coin out of the box - you only look at one side and it is heads. FTP, what is the probability that the other side of the same coin is also heads? You have 10 seconds.
(Moderator, allow 10 seconds)
One thousand nine hundred twenty two years ago, yesterday,
this volcano erupted, destroying several cities including Herculaneum and Stabiae. It towers
4,190 feet and most recent eruptions include 1913, 1926, 1929, and 1944. In 1794 a violent
eruption destroyed the town of Torre del Greco.
The volcano's slopes are covered with vineyards and orchards, a railroad
has been constructed from the base to the summit, and an observatory is
maintained near the crater. For ten
points, name this mountain, the only active volcano on mainland
15. A collection of his writings has recently
been published under the title "Our Word is Our Weapon." He was born in
A: Subcomandante MARCOS
16. Steve Martin, Itzhak Perlman, Quincy Jones, Bette Midler, James Earl Jones, Penn and Teller, James Levine and Angela Lansbury did the
introductions to pieces involving whales, a tin soldier, flamingos with
yo-yos and more. Beethoven, Respighi, Gershwin, Shostakovich,
Saint-Saens, Dukas [doo-KAH], Elgar and Stravinsky were featured. For
10 points--these celebrities and composers were featured in what update of a 1940 Disney classic?
Answer: _Fantasia 2000_ (do not accept "Fantasia")
17. The endosymbiotic theory defends evolution by the notion that these organelles were the predecessors to mitochondria and chloroplasts. They are found floating freely in the cytoplasm or studded on rough endoplasmic reticulum. Eukaryotic units are composed of four RNA strands associated with 70 to 80 proteins. Prokaryotic units are composed of three RNA strands associated with about 50 proteins. FTP, name this "protein factory" of the cell.
18. His name means "Hummingbird of the
South" or "He of the South."
He was represented either as a hummingbird, or
with the feathers of a hummingbird on his head and his left leg, with a black
face and holding a snake. A son of Coatlicue [ko-ahtl-EE-kway], he
slew his sister Coyolxauhqui [ko-yohl-SHAW-kee]
and tossed her head into the sky where it became the moon. For 10 points--name this Aztec god of war and
the sun, chief god of
Answer: _Huitzilopochtli_ or _Uitzilopochtli_
19. He is an intellectual and a romantic dreamer in his early 20s and, like his other family members, is partially alcoholic and because of it tends to squander money. His maid Cathleen thinks he is handsome, he works harder than his older brother Jamie and his mother Mary hopes he will be successful one day. For 10 points--name this character in ‘Long Day's Journey Into Night’ based on Eugene O'Neill himself.
Answer: _Edmund_ Tyrone (prompt on "Tyrone" but do not accept "Mr.
20. The song takes the form of a trial, in which the defendant is found guilty of being a "redneck whitebread chicken-shit motherfucker" in a verdict read by Judge Dre. Allegations of racism, megalomania, and homosexuality are also brought up in the prosecution's case. The trial has not one but three prosecutors: MC Ren, Ice Cube, and Eazy-E. FTP, name this song, spelled with some blank spaces, in which the NWA profess their lack of fondness for law enforcement personnel.
A: ____ THA POLICE (the blanks are pronounced "fuck", but players may
simply indicate that there is a blank there)
21. This American
diplomat and financier was a member of the American legation in
Answer: Nicholas _Biddle_
22. Written from 37 to 30 BCE, the work drew upon Hesiod's "Works and Days." The four books end with reflections on war, peace, death, and
resurrection, even though the ostensible topic is country life
and agriculture in particular. FTP, name this poetic masterpiece by
Virgil, also known as the Art of Husbandry.
A: GEORGICS (accept "Art of Husbandry" on an early buzz)
23. This German chemist was the first to determine the formulas of many purine derivatives such as uric acid, xanthine, and caffeine, and to hydrolyze the complex proteins into simple amino acids. For his work on sugars and purines, he received the Nobel Prize in chemistry in 1902. For ten points, name this scientist whose name is immortalized in the name for certain organic chemistry stereochemical projections.
Answer: Emil FISCHER
24. This state looks to have an interesting Senate race in 2002 as Democratic attorney Mark Pryor will go up against a one-term Republican incumbent. Mark Pryor is the son of David Pryor, who served as this state's governor from 1974 to 1978 and represented the state in the Senate for three terms after that. For 10 points--name the state currently represented by Blanche Lincoln and Tim Hutchinson.
1. Identify the figure from American pop culture on a 30-20-10 basis
30: Bob Dylan wrote the lyrics to "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall" on his
typewriter. During Dr. King's "I Have a Dream" speech, this man was heard to say "I hope he's over quick; Mahalia Jackson's on next."
He served as master of ceremonies at
10: His rhyming name has been lent to a Ben and Jerry's flavor consisting of caramel, fudge, and a variety of nuts.
A: WAVY GRAVY
2. Given a number and units, name the physics constant the number is equal to FTPE.
6.626 x 10^-34 Joule-seconds
ANSWER: __Planck's__ Constant
1.3807 x 10^-23 Joules per Kelvin
ANSWER: __Boltzman's__ Constant
ANSWER: __Wien's__ Constant
3. For five points each list the Presidents in order that
served from 1841 until 1857.
A: Henry HARRISON, John
, James POLK, Zachary TYLER , TAYLOR
Millard FILLMORE, Franklin PIERCE
4. Identify the novelist from his works on a 30-20-10 basis
30: "Foe" and "Age of Iron"
"The Master of
10: "Life and Times of Michael K," "Waiting for the Barbarians," and
A: j.m. COETZEE
offering subscriptions later this year. For 10 points per answer:
What man, formerly of German media giant Bertelsmann AG, is Napster's new
Answer: Konrad _Hilbers_
What founder of Napster named it after a high school nickname that he
received because of his tightly curled hair?
Answer: Shawn _Fanning_
Fanning began developing Napster in early 1999 while studying computer
programming during his freshman year at what
6. 30-20-10 Identify the famous American.
30- He summarized his defense policy with the terse reply "To be
prepared for war is one of
the most effectual means of preserving peace"
20- He was eulogized by Richard Henry Lee with the words, "First in war,
first in peace, first
in the hearts of his countrymen."
10- Among his most famous words are "There can be no greater error than to expect or calculate upon real favors from nation to nation."
A: George WASHINGTON
7. Identify these island nations from islands not mentioned in the country's official name, for 10 points each:
This republic has only three inhabited islands including Ghawdex, also
called Gozo, and Kemmuna, also called Comino.
Answer: Republic of _Malta_ or Repubblika ta' _Malta_
Pedras, Tinhosas, and Rolas
are islands in this nation located in the
Answer: Democratic Republic of _Sao Tome and Principe_ or Republica
Democratica de _Sao Tome e Principe_
nation in the
Answer: _Antigua and Barbuda_
8. Identify these characters created by Mark Twain, for 10 points each:
Even though Injun Joe kills Dr. Robinson, this man whose knife Joe used is arrested for the murder.
Answer: _Muff_ _Potter_ (accept either name)
The kind-hearted Grangerfords are locked in a longstanding feud with this other family.
Answer: the _Shepherdson_s
Driscoll is the closest friend to this resident of
Answer: _Pudd'nhead Wilson_
9. Answer the following questions about court cases in American history, for
10 points each:
Haywood Patterson, Charles Weems, Clarence Norris, Andy Wright, Ozzie
Powell, Olen Montgomery, Eugene Williams, Willie Roberson and Roy Wright were accused of raping Victoria Price and Ruby Bates and were tried in what city?
Answer: William (or Bill) _Cosby_
George Rappalyea convinced what Rhea county teacher and athletic coach to get arrested in order to test a new law he thought was unconstitutional?
Answer: John T(homas) _Scopes_
10. Mounted upon winged horses and armed with helmets and spears, their name literally translates as "choosers of the slain." For 10 points each--Who are these mythological messengers?
Answer: _Valkyrie_s or Die _Walkure_
Valkyries escort these brave heroes to
preparation for Ragnarok.
Answer: _Einherjar_ or _Einheriar_
According to Norse mythology, the armor of the Valkyries causes this
flickering light to appear.
Answer: _Aurora Borealis_ or _Northern Lights_
11. Identify these related writers FTP each
This Irish-born philosopher and novelist is known for such novels as
"Under the Net," "The Unicorn," "The Sandcastle," "The Good Apprentice," and "The Sea, the Sea."
A: Iris MURDOCH
She published two books on Murdoch, but is better known for novels such as "The Shadow of a Sun," "The Virgin in the Garden," and "Possession."
A: Antonia Susan BYATT
She is A.S. Byatt's sister. Her novels include "The Needle's Eye," "The Ice Age," and "Realms of Gold."
A: Margaret DRABBLE
12. Identify the painters of the following works on a 15-5 basis.
15: ‘The Concert’, ‘The Geographer’ and ‘The Milkmaid’
5: ‘Girl, Interrupted at Her Music’ and ‘View of
Answer: Jan (or Johannes) _Vermeer_ or Jan _Van der Meer_
15: ‘The Sleepers’, ‘The Painter's Studio’ and ‘Cliffs of Etretat’
5: ‘Burial at Ornans’ and ‘The Stonebreakers’
Answer: (Jean Desire) Gustave _Courbet_
A group of plants and animals living and interacting with one another in a specific region under relatively similar environmental conditions.
All the organisms that constitute a given species and occur in a specified habitat.
A relationship formed by the interaction of a community of organisms with their physical environment
14. No tournament would be complete without the pre-requisite Civil War battles.
(a) For 5 points,
Name the first battle of the war.
A: First Bull Run (North) or First
(b) FTP, name the battle that cost the South dearly in
one of the most famous friendly-fire
casualties ever, Stonewall Jackson.
(c) For 15 points, tell me what battle the
when an erroneous order to fill a gap
actually created one.
15. Name the colleges attended by these Heisman Trophy winners FTP each:
16. Identify this opera from clues on a 30-20-10 basis.
It premiered at the Teatro Apollo in
20: Chacters include the prima donna soprano Leonora, a lady-in-waiting in
the court of Aragon, the primo basso profundo Ferrando, a captain of the
guard, and the title character, the primo tenore
10: This Verdi work may be most famous for its "Anvil Chorus."
A: Il TROVATORE or the TROUBADOR
17. Identify these German cities FTP each.
miles northwest of
city, approximately 100 miles south of
city of a half million is an industrial port on the
approximately 40 miles from the
18. When Mary Kay Bergman committed suicide on
characters she voiced on that show, for 10 points each:
In addition to voicing all four mothers of the main chacters, Mary Kay
voiced this older sister of Stan.
Answer: _Shelley_ Marsh
Mona Marshall has taken over as the voice of Kyle's mom and this girl who
always makes Stan throw up.
Answer: _Wendy_ Testaburger
Mark Kay also voiced this principal of South Park Elementary whose name
parodies a former TV star.
answer: Principal _Victoria_
19. Answer these chemistry questions FTPE.
Identify the term for a solution that maintains a narrow range of pH
because it is composed of an acid and its conjugate base.
Answer: __Buffer__ (or __Buffered__)
What equation describes the functional range of the pH in a buffer?
Answer: The __Henderson-Hasselbalch__ Equation
When the pH of a buffer solution is equal to the pKa, the dissociation
constant of the acid, what is the ratio of base to acid in the solution?
20. Identify the authors of these medieval poetic epics FTP each
Le Chevalier de la Charrette
A: CHRETIEN DE TROYES
A: Matteomaria BOIARDO
Roman de la Rose (since this was done in two parts, more than one answer
A: Guillaume de LORRIS or Jean de MEUN or le CLOPINEL
21. Given the country, name its unit of currency FTP each
22. Identify the writers of these similarly titled philosophical works, for 10
This man wrote ‘Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus’ while on active service
with the Austrian Army in 1918.
answer: Ludwig (Josef Johan) _Wittgenstein_
In ‘Tractatus de legibus’, this Spanish Jesuit theologian and philosopher
made a distinction between natural law and international law.
answer: Francisco _Suarez_
‘Tractatus Theologico-Politicus’ was written by this man who formerly
worked as a lens grinder.
answer: Baruch (de) _Spinoza_ or Benedict(-us) (de) _Spinoza_
23. Everyone hold onto your hats, it's time for some fun Supreme Court Cases. Name them from a brief description, FTPE.
10.) The plaintiff in this case had been a prominent member of the Socialist party during the 1920s. He was arrested and convicted for violating the New York Criminal Anarchy Law of 1902, which made it a crime to attempt to foster the violent overthrow of government. His publication and circulation of sixteen thousand copies of the Left-Wing Manifesto violated this Criminal Anarchy Act. The Supreme Court overturned his conviction.
_Gitlow vs. New York_
The plaintiff in this case had been convicted on a
_Miller vs. California_
10.) In this case, a radio station had broadcasted a skit by George Carlin in which he discussed "the seven dirty words." A father who had been riding with his son in the car and had heard this filed a complaint with the FCC. The Court ruled that, because of time, place, and manner regulations, the FCC would be allowed to restrict the radio station's First Amendment rights.
_FCC vs. Pacifica_
24. FTP each, give the SI units for the following physics quantities:
Magnetic Flux Density