Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 15:49:53 -0800 (PST)
From: "Matthew H. Baker"
Guy Fawkes Eve Buzzer Explosion
Questions by Stanford University Bluejay
Roger Lee, Brad Harris, Lee Kenyon, Kalee Magnani, Rajani Rajan
1. Deficiency of this substance in the brain has been linked to
Alzheimer' s disease. First isolated in 1914, it plays a role in
memory and learning, and it helps send messages to voluntary
muscles, as well as the heart, the stomach, and certain glands.
FTP name this neurotransmitter.
2. Her maiden name was Mabovitch, and when she was 23 she
emigrated out of the U.S. In 1966 she became secretary general of
the Mapai party. FTP na me this woman who, upon the death of Levi
Eshkol in 1969, became Prime Mini ster of Israel.
Golda MEIR (Accept Goldie MYERSON)
3. When this three-syllable term is used in reference to a vector
space V, it means, in part, that V is also endowed with a ring
structure. When it is used in reference to a nonempty class S of
subsets of a set X, it means that S is closed under complem
entation and finite union. FTP name this term which also refers to
the bra nch of mathematics which studies operations on sets.
4. He worked from 1814 to 1816 on the survey of Java, and from
1818 to 184 3 on the survey of India. As surveyor general of India
beginning in 1830, this Welshman introduced the most accurate
surveying instruments of his tim e. FTP name the man for whom
Peak XV in Tibet was renamed in 1865.
Sir George EVEREST
5. The sensory-motor stage, the preoperational stage, the concrete
operational stage, and the formal operational stage are all part of
the theory of cognitive development proposed, FTP, by what Swiss
child psycholo gist?
6. Occasional problems with Islamic fundamentalists in his country
haven't prevented this former script-writer from achieving word-
wide literary prom inence, including the Nobel Prize for literature
in 1988. FTP, name the au thor of The Beginning and the
End, Midaq Alley, and the Cairo Triology.
7. Every object emits some radiation. All you need to know in
order to ca lculate the rate of radiation is the object's
emissivity, surface temperatu re, surface area, and a constant, the
value of which is 5.67 x 10-8 W/(m2K4 ). FTP, name this constant.
8. Collaborating with his wife, a furniture designer, this noted
twentieth century architect adapted styles of his native Finland to
modern techniques and function. The designer of Paris' Maison
Carre and MI T's Baker House, he also gained fame from his designs
for laminated wood fu rniture.
9. Be proactive. Begin with the end in mind. Put first things
first. Th ink win/win. Seek first to understand, then to be
understood. Synergize. Sharpen the saw. You can read about
these principles in, FTP, what 1989 bestselling personal management
book by Stephen Covey?
The SEVEN HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PEOPLE
10. He was born in 1912 as Albino Luciani. His name was chosen as
a combi nation of his two predecessors when he was selected as
pope. FTP, name thi s pope who served one month in 1978.
JOHN PAUL I
11. It consists of incandescent gas at a temperature of 5800
kelvin. FTP, name this heat-emitting, light-emitting, visible
surface of the sun.
12. He instigated reforms such as granting full rights to all free
men, expanding the authority of the assembly, and instituting the
concept of ostracism. FTP identify this man, who came to power in
Athens in 510 B.C. and is known as the father of Athen
13. A composition constructed in terms of color, it depicts a boat
at sea against a background of dark pinks, purples, and blues.
FTP, name this painting, by Edward Monet, from whose title the name
of a style of art was later derived.
14. Caused by the microorganism Borrelia burgdorferi, it attacks
the heart, liver, kidneys, and other organs. Tetracycline has been
used to treat it . FTP identify this disease which had its first
outbreak in 1977 in a small New England community.
15. His original name was Mortimer and he appeared in 1928 in
Plane Crazy. A year later he appeared, under a new name, and with
a high squeaky voice, in Steamboat Willie. Years later he was
featured in a children's TV sh ow in which the theme song spell ed
out his name. FTP name the animated star of the Sorcerer's
Apprentice in Disney's Fantasia.
16. While in his twenties, he fled to South America, where he
became famous as a leader of the rebel forces in Uruguay and
Brazil. He also lived briefly in the U.S., fought for the French
against Prussia, was elected to the Italian parliament, and tried
twice to capture Rome from the Pope. FTP, name this famous
revolutionary leader of the Red Shirts.
17. He built his capital city of Agade in honor of the goddess
Ishtar. Af ter overthrowing Lugalzaggisi, he reigned circa 2334 to
2279 B.C., becoming king over southern Mesopotamia and builder of
an empire that may have stretched to the Mediterranean. Two later
Assyrian kings share his name, as does a microcomputer chess
program popular in the 1980s. FTP name this ruler of Akkad.
SARGON of Akkad
18. Some of the world's most significant volcanic activity occurs
on islands. FTP, on what volcanically active island would you
find Surtsey and Hekla, two important features of the mid-oceanic
19. Born in 1930, his works are often science fiction reflecting
a theme of disaster. The theme is reflected in his novels The
Drowned World and High Rise. FTP name the British novelist who
wrote the Empire of the Sun.
J. G. BALLARD
20. Although its name suggests that something is lost, this word
actually describes a chemical change in which an atom or group of
atoms gain an electron. FTP, name this process, the opposite of
21. Born in 1858 and dying in 1940, this author was originally a
school te acher. Works such as Gosta Berling's Saga and Jerusalem
won her much accla im. FTP name this author, the first woman to
win the Nobel Prize in literature.
22. It is superconductive and is very magnetic at low
temperatures. It is used in electronic components, alloys, and
other products needing to withst and high temperatures. FTP name
this silver-white element of the lanthinide series with the atomic
weight of 157.25.
23. Her shyness and delicacy are conveyed by her emotional
attachment to a glass unicorn. FTP name this character who appears
in "The Glass Menagerie" by Tennessee Williams.
24. Synthesized in the nucleus according instructions provided by
DNA, this molecule moves through nuclear pores to ribosomes in the
cytoplasm, where the information it contains is used to synthesize
proteins. FTP, name this nucleic acid.
25. Born in 1928, his bizarre personality and flair for self-
publicity mad e him a household name. Among his lesser known works
are The New Spirit an d Handpainted Flower. FTP name this artist
who worked out of the Factory.
26. Physician, philosopher, and professor of medicine, he is
credited with starting the rise of the Paduan school as a center
for medical study. His Conciliator differentiarum, in which he
attempted to reconcile Arabian med icine and Greek speculative
natural philosophy, was considered authoritative as late as the
sixteenth century, but this didn't stop the Inquisition from
convicting him of heresy and magic after his death. FTP name this
1. (30) Identify the following about transformations for 10
(10) Identify the nymph whom Zeus transformed into a bear, and who
shares her name with a moon of Jupiter.
(10) 10 points for your answer in German, or 5 in English:
Name the Franz Kafka novel in which Gregor Samsa finds himself
transformed into a giant bug.
Die VERWANDLUNG (or The Metamorphosis)
(fair-VAHND-loong, but accept mispronunciations)
(10) _The_Breast_ is a 1972 book about a literature professor who
is trans formed into a 155-pound breast. Identify its author.
2. (30) Name each of the following Lucasian Professors of
Mathematics at Cambridge University for the stated number of
For 5: A mathematician and physicist, he assumed the chair in 1669
Sir Isaac NEWTON
For 10: A cosmologist and physicist, he took chair in 1980.
For 15: A physicist, he assumed the chair in 1932, one year before
winning a Nobel Prize.
Paul Adrien Maurice DIRAC
3. (30) In 1947, Congress passed the Taft-Hartley Labor Act. For
ten points each, twenty total, labor your way through the following
mass of lab or legislation:
The offical name of the Taft-Hartley Labor Act.
LABOR-MANAGEMENT RELATIONS Act
The 1935 labor legislation that the Taft-Hartley qualified and
NATIONAL LABOR RELATIONS Act or WAGNER Act
The 1932 piece of legislation which was nullified in part by the
Taft-Hartley Labor Act.
FEDERAL ANTI-INJUNCTION Act or NORRIS-LAGUARDIA Act
4. (30) FTP each, answer the following about the valley of the
shadow of death.
Psalm 23 in the 1662 edition of this book contains the lines "Yea,
though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will
fear no evil." Name the service book used by the Church of England
from 1549 until the mid 1970s.
The BOOK OF COMMON PRAYER
As this Russian novelist lay dying in 1910, he refused to be
converted to the Russian Orthodox Church, saying to his priest,
"Even in the valley of the shadow of death, two and two do not make
six." Name him.
Identify the title of the song by Coolio, featuring LV, which
contains the line "As I walk through the valley of the shadow of
5. (30) Identify each of the following structures as being
located in either the forebrain, the midbrain, or the hindbrain.
Ten points for 3 correct, 20 for 4, and thirty for all 5.
temporal lobe: FOREBRAIN
6. (30) Answer the following about Israel for 10 points each.
(10) Israel's access to the Red Sea comes through what gulf?
Gulf of AQABA
(10) The consolidation party is known by what name?
(10) An Israeli-born Jew is referred to by this term, which
literally refers to a prickly-pear cactus.
7. (30) T. S. Eliot's poem "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
has been called the first masterpiece of modernism in the English
language. After each excerpt from the poem that I read, you give
me the next three words of the poem. Ten points for each group of
Let us go then, you and I,
When the evening is spread out ...
AGAINST THE SKY
In the room the women come and go ...
TALKING OF MICHELANGELO
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
Till human voices wake us, ...
AND WE DROWN
8. (30) Given the following descriptions, name the electrical
device for 10 points each:
A three-terminal, solid-state device used for amplification and
switching, it is the solid state analog to the triode electron
A two-terminal device that permits current flow
predominantly in one direction.
A special-purpose electron tube in which electrons are accelerated
by high-voltage anodes, formed into a beam by focusing electrodes,
and projected to ward a phosphorescent screen that forms one face
of the tube.
CATHODE RAY TUBE
9. (30) For the stated number of points, answer the following
questions about the Fronde.
For 5: What adviser to Anne of Austria was forced to flee
temporarily to Germany a fter being targeted by the rebels?
For 10: What peace treaty shortly after the beginning of the Fronde
freed French troops to take action against the rebels?
Peace of WESTPHALIA
For 15: Name the principal instigator of the Fronde, a prince and
military leader also known as Louis II de Bourbon.
10. (30) Name the mathematician from the description, ten points
(10) Killed by the Romans in 212 B.C. while drawing diagrams in
(10) Alexandrian mathematician who wrote a treatise on conic
(10) This Austrian logician refused to become a United States
Citizen because he beleived he had found a logical error in the
11. Identify the authors of the following works FTP each.
The Mambo Kings Play Songs of Love Oscar HIJUELOS
The Delta Wedding Eudora WELTY
Watch on the Rhine Lillian HELLMAN
12. The Taiping Rebellion threatened the ruling Chinese dynasty
probably more than any other 19th-century event. Your team may
also be threatened unless you know the following about the Taping
During which dynasty did the Taiping Rebellion occur?
Name the visionary from Guangdong province who started
Hung Hsui-ch*uan sought to establish a new dynasty, the
Taiping. What does Taiping mean?
13. FTP each, name the discoverer of each of the following
Uranus William HERSCHEL
Pluto Clyde TOMBAUGH
Ceres Giuseppe PIAZZI
14. Your team will be singing if you can identify the following
composers given vocal works, FTP each.
Vocalise, Vespers, The Bells
St. Paul, Elijah
Israel in Egypt, Saul, Judas Maccabeus
George Frideric HANDEL
15. Thirty-twenty-ten, identify the poem from which the following
lines are all taken.
30: "What men or gods are these? What maidens loath?"
20: "Thou, silent form, dost tease us out of thought as doth
eternity: Cold Pastoral!"
10: "Beauty is truth, and truth beauty"
ODE ON A GRECIAN URN
16. (30) For five points each, identify the following computer-
SCSI SMALL COMPUTER SYSTEMS INTERFACE
LISA LOCALLY INTEGRATED SOFTWARE ARCHITECTURE
WAIS WIDE AREA INFORMATION SERVER
PCL PRINTER CONTROL LANGUAGE
ISDN INTEGRATED SERVICES DIGITAL NETWORK
PCI PERIPHERAL CONNECT INTERFACE
or PERIPHERAL COMPONENT INTERFACE
17. 30-20-10. Name the work of literature.
30: It is subtitled "An Agony in Eight Fits." Scholars have
attributed to the work hidden meanings from political subversion to
20: It describes the sea voyage of several men including a
bootblack, barrister, broker, banker, baker, and butcher.
10: These men search for an elusive creature who is never pictured
because the author wanted each reader to use his imagination.
THE HUNTING OF THE SNARK
18. (30) Microogranisms
FTP each, given a microorganism, tell the disease it causes.
Bacillus Athracis ANTHRAX
Epstien-Barr Virus MONONUCLEOSIS
Pasteurella Pestis BUBONIC PLAGUE
19. FTP given a quote, or for 5 points given the book in
which the work appeared, name the following people:
For 10: "Superstition, idolatry, and hypocrisy have ample
wages, but truth goes a begging."
For 5: Table Talk
For 10: "Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have
the consola tion with us, that the harder the conflict, the more
glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too
For 5: The American Crisis, No. 1
For 10: "I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is
just; that his justice cannot sleep forever; that considering
numbers, nature, and natural means only, a revolution of the wheel
of fortune, an exchange of situation, is among possible events;
that it may become probably by supernatural interference!"
For 5: Notes on Virginia
20. 30-20-10. Identify this person.
30: In 1901, he founded the Santiniketan, or Abode of Peace,
later called Visva-Bharati University, a school that stressed
social reform, international unity, and rural reconstruction.
20: His written works include The Gardener, The Crescent
Moon, Chitra, Personality, and Sadhana: The Realization of Life.
10: He won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1913, especially for
his poetry collection entitled Gitanjali.
21. (30) Scandanvian authors
FTP each, given a work, name the author
Hunger Knut HAMSUN
Barabbas Par LAGERKVIST
Kristin Lavransdatter Sigrid UNDSET
22. For five points each, thirty total, put the following computer
programming languages in the order in which they were developed,
from first to last: BASIC, C, COBOL, FORTRAN, LISP, Pascal.
FORTRAN, LISP, COBOL, BASIC, PASCAL, C
23. (30) FTP each, given a year in the twentieth century, tell
who was pope.
1982 JOHN PAUL II
1961 JOHN XXIII
1929 PIUS XI